REVIEW: The Shadow Master

The Shadow Master

The Shadow Master by Craig Cormick

 In a land riven with plague, inside the infamous Walled City, two families vie for control: the Medicis with their genius inventor Leonardo; the Lorraines with Galileo, the most brilliant alchemist of his generation.

And when two star-crossed lovers, one from either house, threaten the status quo, a third, shadowy power – one that forever seems a step ahead of all of the familial warring – plots and schemes, and bides its time, ready for the moment to attack...
A story of alternative history, love and conflict, madness and magic!

Assassination; ancient, impossible machines; torture and infamy – just another typical day in paradise.

My rating: 2 of 5 stars
It's pretty much like if Assassin's Creed & Romeo and Juliet had a (book) baby.


It felt like Renaissance Steampunk, if that's even a thing.

Honestly, I liked this book but could only give it a 2 star rating. Maybe, 2.5? I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it either. I enjoyed some aspects of the book, but overall it was just okay.

The whole story was confusing, especially the true identities of most of the characters. I kept thinking that the prodigious details would eventually weave into an elaborate and satisfying tale, but sadly that never happened. The ending was lackluster and frankly, a huge bummer.

I could see where the author wanted to go, and the concept seemed interesting to me (at first). It was overtly vague and choppy which only accomplished to keep me in a state of puzzlement from start to finish.

*I received this copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review, and opinions are mine alone.